Friday, November 6, 2015

Simple Yoga Poses for Better Sleep


Sleep deprivation is a common problem these days. Whether you get those 7-8 hours of sleep or not, you can feel exhausted and lifeless in the morning because you fall asleep with worries, negative thoughts and stress. Stress and sleep deprivation come hand in hand and can be a vicious cycle that is hard to break. Honestly, I had to deal with that cycle and could not find the way out. It was all because of stress. I went to bed before 11 and got 8 hours of sleep but I never felt refreshed and energized in the morning. Yoga has helped me cope with my problem and I try to do these poses right before bed, especially when I feel stressed out.
 

While there's no magic pill for insomnia, soothing your body and mind before bed can help you sleep better and wake up happier in the morning, not in the middle of the night. Check out what yoga poses you can do tonight to improve your sleep:


1. Legs up the wall


I knew this technique when I was a child. My mom is not a fitness fan - she's actually an exercise hater, but she has been doing the legs up the wall pose for years without realizing that this is a simple exercise. She was surprised to find out that she's been practicing some yoga poses, including this one, for many years while telling others that she does not like to work out.

If you have trouble falling asleep, put your legs up the wall and hold this position for 5-10 minutes. Make sure your eyes are closed and your mind is clear, otherwise you will not get a desirable result.